Can’t Win ‘Em All

Leven Greene

After riding an inevitable high after defeating the school’s main rival on Sunday, Rhodes College faced off against the Hendrix’s Warriors and, unfortunately, lost. The Rhodes Lynx played four sets from 6:30 to 8:15, and fought as hard as they could the entire time. 

The first set was like watching a completely different team. The team destroyed the Warriors: Lynx 25 – Warriors 15, with the starting setter, freshman Amber Williams, working smoothly with her front row hitters to get kills. Most notably, Katheryn Chambers, #10, really went all out with generating impressive swings. The girls fought hard, especially senior Marissa Hall, the team’s libero. After a string of consistent serves, Hall was able to play strong defense behind her blockers, and proved that she earned her spot as the team’s libero.

After the first set, things started breaking down in the beginning of the second. Serve receive faltered, and two or three doubles were called, bringing the momentum from the first set to a screeching halt. However, setter Brenna Weyant, #13, didn’t let the calls get to her, and she really seemed to click with #20, sophomore Shayla Garrison, setting her up to hit kills from the back row. Unfortunately, the score was too far gone, and the girls lost the second set Rhodes 18 – Hendrix 25. 

The third set, like the second, started out slow. The student section was dead, and the players on the court were really letting the hitting errors get to them. A few players did their best to pick their teammates up, but due to a lack of energy from the fans, they were not successful. Thanks to the bench really cheering on their teammates, the girls picked it up, but ultimately lost, Rhodes 19 – Hendrix 25.

The last set started, and at one point the score was Rhodes 3 – Hendrix 10. The girls fought back, but after having played 3 full games before, they were understandably tired. What they missed in serve receive, the girls would normally make up in strong swings, but Hendrix was ready, and they connected several solid blocks against Chambers (#10) and freshman Mary Oldham (#17). 

Let’s help our girls out and show up to cheer them on from the student’s section. Roll Lynx!