The Sou’wester

SACA continues annual Holi celebration

Back to Article
Back to Article

SACA continues annual Holi celebration

Students throw colored powder in air for Holi celebration.

Aakash Vasireddy '21

Aakash Vasireddy '21

Aakash Vasireddy '21

Rohan Kaza '21, Staff Writer

South Asian Culture Association (SACA) once again hosted a colorful celebration in the BCLC lawn on March 16 for Holi.  Holi, which took place on the March 21, is the festival commemorating color. Based in the Hindhu religion, it is a springtime tribute that celebrates good conquering evil. This year there were buckets of colored powder and spray tubes with which to dispense them. Students were dashing around the BCLC lawn either targeting or being targeted by other students with fistfuls of powder. With some upbeat Bollywood tunes setting the mood, there were multiple times the students would just start dancing to the music. The event was catered with everything from samosas to mango juice, and everyone left with streaks of color on their smiles.

SACA President Arati Joshi ’19 said that Holi is “a time to love and to be happy. Usually, those bonds of love and happiness are meant for others. This year, I strengthened those bonds in myself. Lately, I have been a strong proponent of self-love and self-care just because some really trying things have happened to me this year. I want to put myself first, and Holi falling when it did really emphasized that more for me.”

With this being Joshi’s last year at Rhodes, her favorite aspect of Holi this year was the chance to make memories.

“Holi was a moment for me to spend time and have fun with the friends that I am leaving,” Joshi said.

For SACA Secretary Keerthana Kasetty ’21, Holi represents “an amazingly fun way to show my South Asian pride and share it with my fellow Rhodents.”

Kasetty said her favorite moment was “definitely dumping a bucket of colored powder on President Arati!”

Talking with students about the event certainly broadens the spectrum of what Holi is and can be. Outside of a cultural holiday, it can mean so much to people in many different ways; and the same can be said about a wide variety of holidays. It is events like these that bring forth avenues for cultural appreciation.

About the Writer
Rohan Kaza '21, Staff Writer

Rohan Kaza is a staff writer with The Sou'wester. He is an undeclared sophomore. He has been a member of the newspaper staff since the first semester of...