The Sou’wester

From the editor: The Sou’wester is not being censored

Alice Berry '21, Editor-in-Chief

Recently, a former member of The Sou’wester editorial staff released a series of tweets regarding a lawsuit she was reporting on against Rhodes. The suit, Bose v. Bea, alleges that a professor referred a student to the Honor Council in an act of retaliation and that Rhodes did not fulfill its obligation to the student. Neither the professor nor Rhodes have been found guilty in any of the legal proceedings thus far. The three-year-old case is set to go to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals soon.

Those tweets are based in part on an off-the-record conversation with two administrative officials. All parties present, including myself, verbally consented to speak off-the-record. The writer decided to  record the meeting on her phone despite that verbal agreement.

Prior to the meeting, the writer sent a draft of her article to an administrator. At this time, the administrator was obligated to send it to Rhodes’s lawyers. The lawyers responded with a list of potential legal issues with the article that the professor involved in the case might pursue in court. The conversation we had was about how to protect the writer, myself, and The Sou’wester from litigation. We were never threatened with a lawsuit. We have been repeatedly assured by various members of administration, including President Hass, that what and when The Sou’wester publishes is completely the decision of The Sou’wester.

Information about Bose v. Bea is public knowledge. Anyone with a Public Access to Court Electronic Knowledge (PACER) account can access these court documents. Claims that Rhodes attempted to keep the case a secret or to prevent The Sou’wester from publishing on it are false. The article in question has not been fact-checked by a third party source, and as such is not up to our standard. When the article does reach the standards we hold ourselves to, we will publish it.

NOTE: A previous version of this story did not include the results of Bose v. Bea thus far. The story has been edited to include this information.

About the Writer
Alice Berry '21, Editor-in-Chief

Alice Berry is the editor-in-chief of The Sou'wester. She is a sophomore Spanish and international studies double major. She has been a member of the newspaper...

1 Comment

One Response to “From the editor: The Sou’wester is not being censored”

1. Anonymous on April 17th, 2019 12:07 pm

Regardless of Tennessee law permitting audio recoding without consent, it is totally and completely unethical for any journalist to agree to speak off the record and then secretly record a conversation. Especially considering she has posted this unethically-obtained recording on her personal social media accounts

Constructive discourse is the bedrock of a successful democracy. For this reason, comments will be moderated to ensure substantive dialogue for the Rhodes community. Personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence and comments in ALL-CAPS will not be tolerated. Rhodes students: take care to ensure your comments abide by the honor code and commitment to diversity. Comments violating college policy will be turned over to the appropriate student judiciary or administrative organ.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• From the editor: The Sou’wester is not being censored

News

Fighting rape culture through art: Culture of Consent hosts art showcase

News

Russ Wigginton says goodbye to Rhodes after 27 years

News

Spotlight: Res Life student staff describe office in turmoil, fear Aretha Milligan

News

Board of Trustees renames Palmer Hall to Southwestern Hall

News

2019 Editors’ Choice Awards

News

SACA continues annual Holi celebration

News

Ben Crane creates space for interfaith dialogue with panel discussion

News

RSG proposes dissolving Lecture Board, separating allocations from Senate

News

Rhodes hosts Amadine Gay’s ‘Speak Up’

News

ResLife Director addresses student concern over new housing policy

The Student News Site of Rhodes College