RSG hosts first town hall

RSG hosts first town hall

Alice Berry '21, News Editor

It is fitting that Rhodes Student Government decided to hold its first town hall event during the midterm election cycle on Oct. 17.  Much like town halls hosted by political candidates and current office-holders, the event offered students the opportunity to ask questions and voice their concerns about campus policies.

Students who decided to attend the event were asked to fill out an interest inventory that covered everything from academic affairs to residence life. Those present marked an item that they supported and that they wanted to see changed in each section of the inventory. Student responses guided the evening’s discussion.

Student Body President Spencer Beckman ’19 outlined RSG’s biggest achievements this semester. These included the protection of free speech for guests to campus and changing Mr. and Ms. Rhodes to the Rhodes Royalty awards.

“This was a long time coming,” Beckman said.

Beckman also noted RSG had been in discussion with Brailsford & Dunlavy as the college makes changes to its dining services. He commented that RSG’s “new structure” allows it to work more easily with Rhodes Activities Board, Honor Council and the Social Regulations Council. The most important single accomplishment, to Beckman, was to re-allow the use of common spaces for student group meetings. This year, Residence Life banned the use of dorm common rooms for student organizations. RSG’s resolution to open these spaces back up to students passed, though Beckman adds there are time restrictions as to when groups can use common spaces.

Students’ foremost concerns were the First Year Experience Seminar  and the Search/Life program. Launched in 2016, the First Year Experience has been widely criticized for its failure to be relevant to student life. Students agree that the program is important and the transition to college should be facilitated but upperclassmen noted that the content is getting worse. Administration lacks transparency in regards to curriculum changes and students feel that FYES students and TAs should be on future committees dealing with changes to the program.

Complaints about the Search/Life program primarily pointed to the lack of diversity in the syllabus and problems with continuity between Search courses. RSG assured students that Search/Life faculty share their views on this and are working on changes to the curriculum.

RSG will be hosting a second town hall on Nov. 18 from 8-9 PM in the Spence-Wilson room in Briggs Hall.