Recruiters give applications tips at grad school expo

Mat Diana '20, Opinion Editor

Rhodes College Career Services hosted their Graduate School Expo on Sept. 26. The event featured representatives from over 60 graduate school programs whose focusses included law, theology, medical care and a variety of other fields. Representatives provided information about their programs and offered advice to students looking ahead to the application process.

Dr. Todd Thames, who was at the event representing Trinity University’s Department of Healthcare Administration, advised potential applicants to work more towards developing skills in undergraduate work than to focus solely on boosting their GPA.

“We are looking for experiences that promote critical thinking and the foundation of a broad-based education,” Thames said. “We find that Liberal Arts students come better equipped for teamwork.”

Thames advised students looking into graduate programs to seek out ones that offer real world experience and case-based learning, rather than solely a classroom setting.

“If you are investing in graduate school, you want one that promotes participation and problem solving,” Thames said.

Susan Bryant, who represented The University of Tennessee College of Social Work, offered similar advice when it came to valuing experiences over GPA alone.

“Obviously we’re going to look at GPA, but experiences that show a connection to the work you would be doing in the program sets competitive applicants apart,” Bryant said. “Make sure you also have good references. People who can advocate for the work you will do at a graduate level.”

The event highlighted the changes to the landscape of graduate school that technology is bringing. Murray State was one of many universities at the expo that offered online courses for graduate students.

“We recognize that people can’t drive to class every day of the week,” Kyle Rivera, a graduate student at Murray State who was representing their programs, said. “A lot of students work and need flexibility with their class schedule.