‘Rhodes Pride unified’ marches down Beale Street

Videos of the march below

Jordan Hulseberg '19

Rhodes College gathers in front of the FedEx Forum for a group photo just prior to marching.

Jordan Hulseberg '19, Editor-in-Chief

Rhodes College’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance celebrated Mid-South Pride with a colorful pomp and circumstance reserved especially for this annual event on Sept. 29. Rhodes students, faculty and staff gathered in front of the FedEx Forum prior to the Pride Parade—the celebration’s headlining event. Clad in variously colored “Rhodes College Pride” shirts and wielding gay pride flags in their hands, about 40 Rhodes community members lined up together and began their deliberate charge down Beale Street while chanting “Rhodes Pride unified.” Undeterred by the handful of fire and brimstone preachers, and emboldened by the crowd’s accepting and affirming screams, Rhodes marchers smiled unabashedly down the entirety of the parade’s route.

GSA’s executives felt particularly proud of their performance and delighted in the unity they held.

GSA Vice President Anu Iyer ’20 said, “There’s nothing that compares to the rush of emotion that comes during the walk down Beale with my school and I’m never prouder of Rhodes than when I can link arms with my friends, partners and allies and shout out to the crowd in celebration of our identities.”

She continued, “Although the LGBT community can feel fragmented on campus, I can appreciate the opportunity for all of us to coalesce at least once a year no matter how hot or humid it can be. It’s no coincidence that we’ve won most spirited in years passed; we all know that Rhodes is an institution of Memphis, but Pride is the way that we as a marginalized community get to prove our continuing existence and resilience.”

GSA First-Year Liaison B. Lever ’21 said, “Oh wow, well I guess what I have to say is that Pride was incredible this year! I’ve gone every year since middle school, but what made this year so special was the energy and excitement that came from Rhodes Pride! I think that we’re all always so busy with academics that we sometimes forget just how hype Rhodents are, but boy did we show Memphis last Saturday!!”

Other GSA members found the celebration to be right up their alley, as well.

Jamie Taylor ’22 said, “I enjoyed getting to meet people in the queer community. I enjoyed getting to perform. I actually performed at Playhouse on the Square’s Q&A. I just enjoyed getting to express myself the way I choose to.”

GSA held several events the week prior to the festival and tabled in the Rat each day of the week—incorporating a different theme for each day. Planning and preparation for the event took weeks and extensive logistical planning with notable help from the LGBT Working Group.