Rhodes families join the Rhodes family on Family Weekend

Abby Thomasson '21, Staff Writer

On Sept. 14, Rhodes College opened its gates to welcome the friends, family, and loved ones of the Rhodes community for this year’s “Family Weekend.” Visitors were encouraged to sign up and attend a variety of on campus events and sponsored off campus excursions along with information sessions catered to student’s needs or interests.  

On Friday, a Career Services open house allowed not only parents and friends, but students as well to be introduced to the range of assistance and advice in planning life after college Rhodes provides. On both Saturday and Sunday, receptions and information sessions were held to discuss internships, fellowships and study abroad opportunities offered through Rhodes. Need and interest specific sessions included international intern presentations focused on the Mertie W. Buckman and Buckman International Studies Initiatives, discussions for students majoring in Business and Economics with recipients of The Theodore Wm. Eckels and The Morelle Legg International Internships and a Study Abroad Open House for Pell-eligible, first generation college students. A general Study Abroad, fellowship, and internship information session was also available for students seeking basic details. While these events talked about special opportunities outside a traditional campus and classroom environment, possibilities for visitors to experience first hand a slice of daily student life at Rhodes were provided.

A wine and cheese cocktail reception hosted by the Student Life staff and a “Family Dinner” held in the refectory offered traditional Southern food and a small taste of dining at Rhodes. Additionally, family and friends could sit in on student’s classes provided that the class was listed on the approved list made available online.

“I really enjoyed sitting in on my daughter’s neuroscience lecture and actually learned some interesting new information,” Lisa Files, the mother of Grace Files ’21 and Helen Files ’21, said. ”I’m more confident in my children’s quality of education.”

Additionally, Rhodes night at the Levitt Shell and Memphis Heritage tours allowed visitors to explore the city of Memphis outside the gates.

While not specifically scheduled for Parent’s Weekend, family and friends of athletes and non-athletes were encouraged to attend the four home games scheduled intermittently throughout the weekend. Men’s Soccer lost against Webster College 2-0 and defeated Mississippi University for Women 11-0,  Field Hockey defeated Hendrix College 11-0, and Football lost against Berry College 42-35. The additional support of the family and friends creates an atmosphere that some athletes believe they thrive off of.

“It’s definitely nice to see a larger fan base in the stands,” football player Ted Bilden ’20 said. “We can hear the crowd respond to the ups and downs of the game. It keeps us motivated to continue during the good and pick us up when we need it. Knowing that our family and friends are watching helps too.”

Unfortunately, Hurricane Florence, the deadly storm that swept much of the Southeastern United States, disrupted many families’ travel plans. The storm made landfall in North Carolina and brought severe rains, winds, and flooding to the Southeast in the days leading up to Family Weekend. According to College Factual, about 11 percent of Rhodes College students are from the five states that declared a state of emergency because of Hurricane Florence.

In response to what would likely “bring fear and stress for many in our community”, Rhodes College Chaplain Beatrix Weil, sent an invitation to students, faculty, and staff to gather, “share stories, hold each other’s fears, and take a break from the merriment of Family Weekend”.

“I think creating a space to gather under a shared disaster helps the Rhodes community by providing a place where people don’t have to pretend that everything is okay,” Weil said.

While nobody attended the gathering, Weil stands by her belief that experiencing grief while being surrounded by happiness can be an alienating experience.

“I think it was important that the opportunity existed,” Weil said.